EUDEC2012 Conference Report
From 28 July to 5 August 2012 the European Democratic Education Conference "EUDEC2012" took place at the Kapriole School in Freiburg, Germany. This international Conference was organised by a large team consisting of more than 30 children, teenagers, parents and staff members of the Kapriole, one of the oldest and largest democratic schools in Europe.
The 419 conference participants (among them students, teachers, parents and academics) came from 27 countries from Europe and beyond: Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Lithuania, Morocco, Nepal, Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Kingdom, USA
The conference was split into two parts. During the first five days all participants engaged in self-directed programme-planning via the "Open Space" method: everyone could offer and request talks, workshops, discussion groups and other activities. In this sense, everyone was responsible for his/her own learning. As in many conferences before, this method led to a myriad of different workshops and activities (see the list below to get an impression of what you might expect to find again during next year's conference in the Netherlands).
At the end of the conference week, two days of "public session" were used to focus on introducing democratic education to the interested public with dedicated talks by many top-quality keynote speakers. One of the most praised events were the panels of ex-students from democratic schools across Europe who reported about their experience after having attended democratic schools and who answered many questions from the fascinated audience. You can find a list of all talks and workshops from the conference below at the end of this report.
With EUDEC2012 another important step of networking and exchange around democratic education has been made. Many new projects were established and plans for further exchange were made.
During the final plenary the attendees unanimously expressed their satisfaction and inspiration and gave positive, enthusiastic feedback.
What people said about it...
"Thank you very much for an expanded view upon possibilities I hadn't known before." (translated from German)
"...this experience was very special for me; I have learnt a lot and have many dream/plans... a long way to go for me as I have to try my best to apply these wondeful teachings in Nepal in our schools, orphanages and in many other institutions... so your encouragment will be needed for ever. Hope our partnership will give a new shape to our world and a new path to our children/youths."
"It is hard to describe how it feels for me to be here. I think I might have, for the first time in my life, the possibility to experience freedom in its deeper meaning. ... What I experience here will stay with me forever." (translated from German)
EUDEC conference fund being fed with 3000 Euros
The organizers of this year's conference are happy to announce that they will donate 3,000 Euros to a EUDEC conference fund which shall be used by future conference hosts to get a bit more security for financial planning and to be able to keep future conference fees as low as possible.
Get ready for EUDEC2013
Appendix: A myriad of talks, workshops and other activities
The many cooks did not at all spoil the broth at EUDEC2012. They added to richness and variety. This is a list of all workshops, talks and activities from EUDEC2012 (in alphabetical order; mixed languages; open space and public session combined):
- Abschlüsse - wie mache ich Abitur an demokratischen Schulen
- A child wants to attend our school but does not speak 'our' language....(Inclusion)
- Bike repair workshop
- Calling for all ex-students of democratic schools. I would love to meet with you to discuss your experiences with life after school.
- Campfire and music
- Capture the flag
- Changing educational policy using direct democracy
- 'Children full of life': a documentary about a teacher who is teaching empathy
- 'Children of summerhill' professionel film 60min (good sound) + diskussion
- Clown workshop
- Coaching: Klarheit schaffen, Ziele setzen
- Community Language Learning. Learn polish! interesting technique
- Conversations with teammembers and parents about children. How to get to the essences and how to support children through field-work
- Critique my project. ChangeThefuture co uk - building a revolutionary website enabling the public to redesign the education system democratically. Presentation & discussion; incl. my short documentary trailer. Inspired by Wikipedia, Avaaz, Change.org, Facebook, Quora, Openideo, ourfutureplanet etc.
- Dance party
- Das große EUDEC-biokabaret-party-talentfest mit Frankie T.London
- Democratic and inclusive education - innovative siblings. Demokratische und inklusive Bildung - innovative Geschwister
- Democratic Art and Design College
- Democratic education in central-eastern countries
- Democratic education in France
- Democratic education in Ukraine: how to survive in a non-democratic state (schools 'Athens', 'Eidos' and 'AIST')
- Democratic online school - revolutionizing online education
- Democratic Schools. Why we need them and how we can assure ourselves and others that they are working successfully. Demokratische Schulen - warum sie gebraucht werden und wie gesichert werden kann, dass sie erfolgreich arbeiten
- Democratic university, ideas? experience, possibilities?
- Democratic education and research: Education - How to do it? Comparative Studies - What facts exist? Desiderata - What needs to be investigated?
- 'DERK' - Democratic Education Research Kickstarter - Part 1: Let's brainstorm together: What do we want to have researched in our democratic schools? What research would be very interesting or valuable to do?
- 'DERK' - Democratic Education Research Kickstarter - Part 2: Making a concrete action plan for the next decade
- Different ways of democratic living and learning or just a copy of 'adult' democratic world?
- Discussion about problems of the current school system: How can we improve it so it gets closer to a democratic school, and is it possible to transform it?
- Discussion: Role of parents at your schools
- Diverse Sfumature Nell' Educazione Democratica Confronto Tra le Realta in partenza. Davanti alla sabbiera
- Eine einfache Art Musik zu lernen durch visuelle Hilfsmittel - ganz kurze Einführung der 'Idee' - gemeinsames Ausprobieren - Feedback, Diskussion.
- Eltern an demokratischen Schulen - Parents at Democratic Schools. How to work with them as a staff member?
- EUDEC AGM
- EUDEC Diploma Feedback and Plans for the future
- EUDEC fundraising work group. Help us plan Eudec's fundraising stragtegy & plan a teachers seminar
- EUDEC's coolest non existing BAND - bring an instrument or/and your voice
- EUDEC's Geographical Membership Policy - Time to move on?
- 'Europäischer Stabilitätsmechanismus' EMS - Wie gefährlich ist der Putsch auf allen gesellschaftl. Ebenen?
- Exchange between schools
- Excursion to Kaiserstuhl
- Feedback on the EUDEC information chart (that schools fill in) and what should be the Core Criteria
- Film about 'Children in nature school in Indonesia'
- Filmmaker meeting - everyone who has film-making equipment should join
- Film Nathan der weise weg
- Films about democratic schools
- Find out about EUDEC as an organisation
- First aid for schools in legal trouble
- Four paradigms of learning, communication and development of society (this can help you to distinguish what choices to make) or what is learning?
- Fragen, was man alles bei einer Schulgründung in Deutschland bedenken muss
- 'Freie Schulen in unfreien Ländern' Welche Einschränkungen erwarten uns in der EU. Free Schools in unfree countries
- Freiwilligendienste bei EOS Erlebnispädagogik (Stock-Kampf/Spiele/Ko-ops)
- Fußball - Footbal on the footbal pitch behind the Kapriole
- Games and other ways to learn a language. Exchange and try other games we like and which include the possibility to learn a language
- Games Games Games
- Games! Move, practise, invent!
- Handbuch Demokratische Schulen
- Harp-workshop: Learn how to play the harp! - Harfen-Workshop: Lerne Harfe spielen!
- Having an office in EUDEC? Find out more about being in Council, Oversight Comitee or auditors.
- Hostility to Democratic Education. Ablehnung Demokratischer Erziehung
- How can we create tolerant school communities to avoid the necessities for punishment?
- How can we face in a powerful way, the challenge of this time? Tools & experience - Introduction to the deep-ecology work or 'the work that recommends'
- How can we manage to work with democratic education at state schools?
- How do children develop language at your school (without methods) reading, writing?
- How do democratic schools contribute to a democratic culture (vs. democracy as a ruling technique)
- How does the development of the child affect the role of the adult/staff member?
- How do my thoughts and words influence my reality? How do I create my life? What is my influence on society?
- How do we actively deal with emotions at school?
- How to help children/young people deal with their emotions?
- How to use Focus
- Il cAsilo': an italian democratic experience with children aged 1-3
- I'm interested in your experience! Learning and/or teaching a foreign language at a democratic school
- Independant A-Level project 'methodos'. Abitur in Eigenregie - die Arbeit von 'methodos' in Freiburg
- Informal learning - becoming educated without knowing. Informelles Lernen - sich bilden ohne es zu merken
- Intuitives Spielen. Gruppenspiele/Bewegungsspiele
- Is democratic education for everyone? Discussion/exchange
- Is Open Space just 'fun' or 'light'? Is the assembly 'serious' and 'businesslike'? I want to question that.
- Legal group planning session
- Legal Strategy. Create EUDEC Network
- Little songs in many languages (7?)
- Living with Democratic Education for 50 Years. 50 Jahre Leben mit demokratischer Erziehung.
- MentorInnen an demokratischen Schulen - Umsetzungsideen?; Mentoring at democratic schools - how to organize it?
- Methods and experiences of decision making and conflict resolution
- Music 'jam' session
- Music relaxing session
- My favorite YouTube Clip
- Networking democratic schools with an online study system
- Non-violent communication as attitude, NOT technique. Introduction, exercise small videoclips
- Österreichisches EUDEC Member Meeting
- The method we use for learning a foreign language (TPRS) - Students & Teachers from the Freie Schule Leipzig
- Parents at democratic schools -joy and fear
- Post-assembly Reflections. Come and discuss and reflect on past EUDEC assemblies/ AGMs / Conferences with the aim of improving them
- Power of Playing: What is playing, why do children do it and why is it necessary?
- Presentacion de la Escuela Democratica de Huamachuco, Peru
- Public Relations (PR) Workshop - get your school noticed
- Raising global consciousness and inner spirituality
- (Real) democratic education in France - does it exist ? - can it be done?
- Replacing EUDEC'S Guidance Document with something you can read
- Rituals in school: Ritual analysis as a tool to understand what schools do, what is done in schools
- Roundspeak: Another way of doing assemblies: effective decision making, bringing up everyone's wisdom, getting out of a meeting with more energy. Practiced and developed in Iederwijs
- Rules and regulations. How to create a connecting environment with less rules?
- School 'AIST' invites to the workshops: handmade (ukrainian doll, mini postcards, small bodypainting) and also, if you like, singing or playing instruments
- School life - a film about 'Sanggar Anak Alam' (Salam) - a school in Indonesia
- Self-managed learning at a democratic and inclusive school: the Kapriole. Selbstbestimmt lernen in einer demokratischen und inklusiven Schule: die Kapriole
- Sharing all our personal knowledge about assisting alternatives and possible solutions to current society
- Tap Dance
- Teachers from democratic schools talk about their job (and experiences, personal process...)
- The architecture of the Kapriole, the building, the land, the impact on people
- The democratic education phenomenon in Isreal. Das Phaenomen demokratischer Bildung in Israel
- The marriage of democratic & inclusive education
- The silly language experiment / Sprachblödeleien: The aim of the experiment is to collect as many languages as possible in one room to trade simple words and phrases
- Values-based education - dreams, experiences and challenges of Nepal
- Visita guidata in italiano della Kapriole
- Vor-und Weiterbildung von LehrerInnen an demokratischen Schulen
- What do you (as students or former students or adult students of a democratic school) appreciate about the democratic education and what are the challenges in your opinion?
- What is a Sudbury School?
- What is the main purpose of education?
- What should we talk about?
- What to do when you have to teach an English lesson but lost your voice!
- When is the intellect ready to start democratic learning? Including children from difficult backgrounds, social possibility of a democratic school - questions and answers
- Who can share experience with decision making in school assembly?
- Wie kann EUDEC Gründungsgruppen unterstützen?
- Wie kann ich demokratische impulse zu nicht demokratischen Strukturen geben. (Pädagogische ebene/Praktische Erfahrung)
- Women's circle, meditate & share
- Working with boys at free schools - practice, ideas, concepts, questions
|EUDEC Newsletter||Exciting Job Opportunity!||970||2015-01-21 14:32||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Newsletter December 2014||965||2014-12-27 12:21||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||#GivingTuesday||967||2014-12-02 18:15||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Newsletter September 2014||947||2014-09-20 21:25||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EARLY BIRD FEE FOR EUDEC AGM 2104 EXPIRES JUNE 16TH - REMEMBER TO SIGN UP!||937||2014-06-16 17:33||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EARLY BIRD FEE FOR EUDEC AGM 2104 EXPIRES JUNE 16TH - REMEMBER TO SIGN UP!||941||2014-06-07 14:42||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Newsletter June 2014||950||2014-05-28 20:19||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Newsletter November 2013||901||2013-11-15 11:42||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Newsletter October 2013||888||2013-09-30 01:15||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Error in newsletter||789||2013-09-27 14:49||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EUDEC Newsletter October 2013||793||2013-09-26 23:02||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||Community funding effort: new movie about democratic education in the making - please help now!||776||2013-06-30 21:59||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EUDEC June 2013 Newsletter||772||2013-06-13 17:54||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EUDEC Newsletter March 2013||738||2013-03-03 22:24||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EUDEC2012 Conference Report||710||2012-11-06 00:25||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EUDEC2012 conference: 15 May last day of "early-bird-phase"||660||2012-05-13 10:28||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||EUDEC Newsletter May 2012||656||2012-05-03 19:21||0|
|EUDEC Newsletter||IDEC@EUDEC 2011 Conference Report||614||2011-11-06 16:48||0|